The Protected Area lies on both sides of the Vltava River, on the steep rocky slopes of the river canyon valley.
The steep rock full of large stones which is also called the stony see was created by the devil according to the legend. The visitors are attracted to make a romantic trip there but they should not climb up the stony sea.
The reserve consists of two parts - Čertova stěna (Devil's wall) was declared a Protected Area in 1956, with an area of 10 ha, Luč in 1933 with an area of 95 ha. Both these Protected Areas were combined by the Ministry of Environment of the Czech Republic according to Law no. 395/1992, and were re-categorised as the National Park.